Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #279 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedey View Post
Underrated: Elvis Costello

Overrated: Pink Floyd
Elvis Costello is fairly well respected over here in musician and critics circles even if he is not part of the mainstream anymore. I don't know how about his standing in America and as for Pink Floyd; again they are far more respected than liked these days.

They are certainly not the coolest band on the planet and one could be forgiven that their music is god's gift if you believe all you read but what isn't in doubt was their mistrust of the media, reluctance to do interviews, band photos on album covers (after Meddle and then only on the gatefold LP) and one of those rare bands in the 70's with genuine talent to not disappear up their own arse musically. Any band that has only made 2 studio albums in 27 years seems to me to be a band that certainly don't live on past glories.

Boring facts that MAY help their cause:

Kate Bush's career was co financed and produced by David Gilmour.
The Damned's second album was produced by Nick Mason.
David Gilmour sold one of his houses and gave away ALL the proceeds to Shelter, the U.K's homeless charity (around £1 million)
http://www.davidgilmour.com/- another charity raising event not mentioned in the general media.
Any band that can record a song in 7/8 time and still sound good is OK by me.
Syd Barrett.

Bad facts:

They are all 'frightfully' middle class and meeting any of them could be one of the most boring few hours of your life ever.
Roger Waters is an egotistical whingeing MF who discarded a great musical ensemble for personal gratification.
Both studio albums since 1983 are not very good apart from maybe half a dozen tracks between them both.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote