Music Banter - View Single Post - Socially conscious music
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 03:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterseth View Post
Hi Erica (VEGANGELICA), thank you so much for your positive and encouraging post. I was beginning to wonder if the majority of people on this forum are as amoral as they sound.
Hmm...I think the people here, rather than being amoral, are simply very vigilant about newcomers just using the site to benefit themselves, and so moderators try hard to make sure the rule about self-promotion is followed. Also, most people here don't stroke egos, so the good news is you get honest opinions!

Quote:
It has been good to receive such mixed responses to my idea –*that is what I came here for really, to find out what people think. The whole project has been locked away in my comfort zone for too long. If it ever goes anywhere I will have to be able to defend it.
I will definitely visit the activist song thread.
Very true about the importance of being able to defend what you do or, perhaps more important, recognize the fact that sometimes others will feel what you do is crap and indefensible! So, whatever else you gain from MB, I hope this will be part of it: staying true to your artistic vision regardless what others say, even as you take their feedback and decide if and how to use it in your work.

I hear you, too, about the importance of being able to get out of your comfort zone, Seth. I had an art instructor in college who said to me essentially, "Your art tends to be so pretty and controlled. When are you going to let yourself really express how you feel? If you aren't safe to do that in college, when do you think you'll be able to?" At the time I answered inside, "I don't know." His question always stuck with me, though. I think getting your project out of your comfort zone by sharing it is a great idea for personal and social reasons.

You wondered earlier in the thread about music similar to what you have planned (where you take famous people's socially conscious, spoken words and accentuate the rhythm of natural human speech). I don't know of whole songs that are like that...I've just heard songs that use excerpts of famous speeches. Maybe someone here who knows more about music than I will be able to answer your question.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote