Music Banter - View Single Post - Socially conscious music
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
misterseth
Groupie

Hi Erica,

Quote:
Hmm...I think the people here, rather than being amoral, are simply very vigilant about newcomers just using the site to benefit themselves, and so moderators try hard to make sure the rule about self-promotion is followed. Also, most people here don't stroke egos, so the good news is you get honest opinions!
You're absolutely right about people being vigilant - not amoral - and rightly so. I think I was a little disheartened that so few people were actually engaging with the ideas I've put forward so much as figuring out whether this thread belongs here. That just shows how much I've been languishing in my comfort zone! I really appreciate your story on that subject. How have you dealt with that issue since college?

In my idealistic and optimistic fantasy I have been assuming that most people are also fed up with self-serving musicians not actually saying much of anything other than issues to do entirely with themselves. Not only do I not actually know if this is true but I may have ironically missed how much it could actually apply to me. Ouch.

In the past I have done what most musicians do which is to reside comfortably in anonymity behind aliases and personas. The reason people do this is avoid being confronted with themselves. Therein lies the difficulty.

Thanks everybody so far for your reactions and sorry for implying that any of you may be amoral (except for KMS, who has made this clear already).

Last edited by misterseth; 09-27-2010 at 05:48 AM.
misterseth is offline   Reply With Quote