Music Banter - View Single Post - Recording artists - ever avoid for personal reasons?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Honestly, I don't care about the persona lives or messages of my music. I don't let music tell me how to think, and I realize the people who make it are just normal human beings. Most of them spoiled with money, drugs, sex, and worship. Because of this, mainstream musicians are extremely outspoken and believe themselves to be self entitled. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes it isn't. However, it's the fault of people who need to put their musicians on a pedestal, or feel they must meet a certain criteria as human beings to be judged. This, to me, is entirely bogus. I mean, if you're looking for a hero, look to Ghandi. There's no reason why musicians need to be anything more than people who produce art you like.

Fact of the matter is, The only reason I'd ever avoid listening to a recording artist is over the quality of that artist's music. Even if I didn't agree with the person, or think the person was a good human being, I would only judge on the music.

On rare occasion, I will accept a guy like Mark Hosler as a hero. Not for his personality but for his opinions and fights for artistic freedom. However, again, this is still an extension of the music/message of the music. This is a very rare case, since I care nothing of the "personalities" of the people behind my music or their opinions. Just how well their collection of sounds effects me emotionally.

However, for the sake of discussion, As for the album covers, there's an awful lot of vagueness you're presenting. I mean, the latest album cover I could find was called "Guitar Heaven", and it was Santana with a guitar... Not too outspoken. I'm curious, what album covers in particular are the issue?
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote