Music Banter - View Single Post - Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 12:30 AM   #86 (permalink)
Jonny Redshirt
Music Addict

It's definitely a grower. For a while, I liked it less than Neon Bible (and, naturally, significantly less than Funeral), but now I believe it's superseded their sophomore release in my eyes. It still doesn't touch Funeral, but that was basically the defining album of the decade, so I didn't expect it to overtake that masterpiece.

Now, I like The Suburbs a lot. It doesn't overwhelm emotionally on first listen like their other two albums, but the songs have a way of getting under your skin. The only songs I don't like are the chunk in the last third ("Wasted Hours, "Deep Blue", "Sprawl I" - thank god "We Used To Wait" breaks it up a bit), but those are more just kinda boring than bad. The only song I really don't like is "City With No Children," which is my pick for, easily, the worst Arcade Fire song.

Maybe I'll write a full review of this album once I get into the swing of things here, but I'm still new. For now, I'll just say The Suburbs gets a definite thumbs up.

Last.FM
Jonny Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote