Music Banter - View Single Post - The Flaming Lips
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #146 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Redshirt View Post
I love The Flaming Lips. I thought Embryonic was their best since The Soft Bulletin. The combination of jazz fusion with dark psychedelic rock along with The Flaming Lips' usual songwriting sensibilities is just terrific, and a great comeback after their brief slip into mediocrity with At War With The Mystics. It still doesn't touch most of their 90's material, though.

Most people have mentioned Transmissions as a classic, and it is, but I submit that their true masterpiece is Clouds Taste Metallic. That album is just perfect from start to finish, and I mean it. From the opening piano notes of "The Abandoned Hospital Ship" to the closing glockenspiel of "Bad Days", Clouds just never stops delivering with its insanely perfect songwriting, and its totally uplifting, and never cheesy, crazy brand of happiness.

Just make sure you listen to it a couple of times. I thought it was boring as hell the first time I heard it.
Well put. As far as pure entertainment value goes, In a Priest Driven Ambulance is actually my favorite album. I still give them Yoshimi when it comes to their pinnacle of musicianship, though. Really amazing songwriting and arrangement. You can tell they freaked out about what to do next after that album. At War With the Mystics tried so hard to maintain the general tone Yoshimi had while adding a harder edge, but without pulling it off right. They had no idea what to do.

They are back to pure awesome with Embryonic, though.