Music Banter - View Single Post - Neil Young
Thread: Neil Young
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #81 (permalink)
Jonny Redshirt
Music Addict

I like Neil Young, but I find him to be massively overrated. He's simply too overly serious most of the time and too much of his material screams out "Hey, look at me, I love Bob Dylan." Nothing particularly wrong with that - I love Bob Dylan, too - but when Neil picks up an acoustic guitar, he seems to struggle with adding his own identity to his music.

Now, his electric proto-grunge stuff is, for the most part, fantastic. He definitely did some things with the electric guitar Bobby D could never do. "Like A Hurricane" is my pick for Neil Young's best song, but I also love "Down By The River", "Cortez The Killer", and "Cowgirl In The Sand".

It's hard for me to choose his best album, since he's pretty consistent (although none of his albums manage to blow me away), but in a pinch I'd probably go with Tonight's The Night. There's certainly no complaints I can make about identity crisis on that one, and it never gets boring to me at any point, mostly because the pain he was going through at the time is so palpable.

Last.FM
Jonny Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote