Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Tool Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #343 (permalink)
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Apart from the fact that bassists are almost always overlooked when they're not a focal point either musically or otherwise, I'd say the only significantly overrated person in Tool is Maynard, and that's just because a lot of people can't see past a lead singer by default. It's Adam's band in more ways than one and he's probably underrated by people who don't know that, but that's to be expected.

Me personally, if I absolutely had to rate on individual merit, I'd go:
Adam > Danny > Maynard > Justin.... but I wouldn't. Because I know that there's only one person in that group who could be replaced without destroying the band. He's on the end.
I get your point now. Thank you for elaborating.

I'd love to hear some music that is focused on the bass - aside from Les Claypool. For some artists, even when the bass is the focal point, it gets drowned out by the other instruments. Like Mingus, for example. When I listen to his music, I feel like I have to try harder than I should to pick out the bass. So, is this because of the time period he was in or simply because of his choice of bass guitar (which was usually a double bass).
333 is offline   Reply With Quote