Music Banter - View Single Post - The Importance of Technical Skill
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
fritter
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Redshirt View Post
To me, the songwriting aspect is far more important than the technical aspect. To quote a phrase, "The most important part of music is what isn't in the notes." Don't get me wrong, I love hearing talented musicians just as well, too, but if their songwriting doesn't do much for me, then I'm not going to be a fan of the band.

My best example for this is probably Rush, and oh dear God, I am jumping into the fireplace talking about Rush, I'm sure. Can I respect their instrumental virtuosity? Sure. But they just don't seem to flesh the actual meat of their songs out enough for me, instead preferring to cover up the lack of song with flashy instrumental pyrotechnics, so on the whole, I'm not a Rush fan, though I do enjoy some of their material from time to time. Rush fans, please do not tear my face off
You are so right. Rush's songs just aren't good.

I think some people known for how technically talented they are, can't write good songs. The most skilled singers usually make bad music. Celine Dion comes to mind. The most technically skilled guitarists often make bad music too. Here's a band Michael Angelo Batio (considered one of the best shredders ever) was in called Nitro:

LOL

Last edited by fritter; 10-02-2010 at 10:16 PM.
fritter is offline   Reply With Quote