Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:10 AM   #1677 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob. View Post
trade with OctaneHugo....

XTC - Skylarking

having really only heard 'Dear God' and 'The Ballad of Peter Pumpkin Eater' this album was a real surprise and quite a treat

it's weird just how out of place 'Dear God' actually is on this album...after a bit of research i found out that is was never originally intended to be on the album but was actually the b-side to the first singe 'Grass' (actually my favorite track on the album)....and then added to the first american pressing

i was told to not judge the band by this album....but rather to just enjoy the psychedelic pop music....and i must say i found it impossible to not enjoy this

this whole album resonates with Sgt. Peppers era Beatles....but not so much in a "ripped" of way but a progression...hyper intelligent lyrics mixed with surreal landscapes that honestly just warm the soul....i can see why many people consider this a great 'summer' album

even the more melancholy songs like 'Ballad For a Rainy Day', 'Dying', and '1000 Umbrellas'....have this wonderful pop optimism...at least in the music

it's a real treat to find an album that is this good in its entirety...and with this version (the 2001 remaster) from the opening track of 'Summer's Cauldron' which is like a warm blanket on a cool evening...to the infamous atheist anthem of 'Dear God' this album is just full of great music

many thanks OctaneHugo

i was able to get a few more albums by XTC but have not listened to any of them....i think i'll start that now
Do you think you or the sender could throw me a link? It looks like a cool album. Thanks
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote