Music Banter - View Single Post - The Importance of Technical Skill
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #46 (permalink)
OctaneHugo
Goes back & does it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
A song with thirty time changes and twenty minutes to burn can be just as interesting and meaningful as your favorite Smiths song, and that's the simple truth of the matter.
Ahh Christ I love "Khatru" and this is the best closing statement I've seen in this thread. Probably the best post, too, since it summarizes pretty much everything correct about this situation.

In short: you don't need technical skill to make excellent music, stuff that has meaning or cultural value etc. Having a large amount of skill can help and hurt. It all depends on what you do with your skillset, what you're good at, what you're striving for and so on.

Quote:
Fact of the matter is, proper technique helps, but no matter how you chose to learn, they're all just roads to the same place.
I think this is a pretty excellent statement, too. There are countless self-taught musicians with a great deal of technical skill, just like there are "classically trained" musicians who are great as well. Then you have the so-called-good out of there, people who create excellent music that actually has some sort of worth.

If Any Major Dude Has Yet To Tell You, Click Here
OctaneHugo is offline   Reply With Quote