Music Banter - View Single Post - The Importance of Technical Skill
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #53 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
if you can't give a sh1t about EVH's influence why did you bring it up in the first place.

as for two hand tapping there are clips of Hendrix doing it in the studio (at a much slower pace). there's also the fact that EVH has flat out said that he got the idea from seeing Led Zeppelin in concert and just cranked it up a notch.

then there's also this...

pay especially close attention to 2:42-3:02

look and sound familiar? who brought what to the table again?
Eh, bad example. Couldn't really care enough about Van Halen to defend him here. My point was that even an extremely popular musician who is heralded for his technique(original or not) can learn in ways which don't involve "learning the rules".

If I wanted a better example of just a group which I feel is quite musically interesting, I'd say Boredoms. Since they're abrasive rebellious rulebreakers who, at least in my eyes, present interesting music even if a large portion of it is sarcastic. Not really sure why I reached for Van Halen of all people. Mostly, I think I was reaching for a mainstream figure who is known for technicality. Faulty example, but I don't necessarily think I made a bad point.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote