Music Banter - View Single Post - The Importance of Technical Skill
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 03:17 AM   #55 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
My point was that even an extremely popular musician who is heralded for his technique(original or not) can learn in ways which don't involve "learning the rules".

If I wanted a better example of just a group which I feel is quite musically interesting, I'd say Boredoms. Since they're abrasive rebellious rulebreakers who, at least in my eyes, present interesting music even if a large portion of it is sarcastic.
this is what you're not understanding from my comment - needing to learn the rules before you can break the rules is a figure of speech.

even the Boredoms clearly learned the rules of how to play their instruments the proper way. it's clear by the fact that they use normal traditional chords, they use normal traditional licks, beats, riffs, and fills. BUT they break those rules in the way they arrange those pieces and present them to the listener.

do you get it yet? or are there other rules out there besides chord shapes, scales, modes, traditional rhythms and chord progressions? how would practicing along to the radio not be the same as teaching yourself these fundamentals? just because you don't know that crazy lick you just figured out from that song is part of the phrygian scale in D doesn't mean you didn't learn part of a scale.

the more technique (rules) you learn, the more ammunition you have in your arsenal if/when you finally get bored enough with connecting dots to crack the mold and head out there.

the ONLY way it's possible to learn an instrument without learning the rules of that instrument at the same time is to get something completely foreign to you and refusing to listen to any piece of music that features that instrument or getting any sort of instruction on how to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote