Music Banter - View Single Post - It's Space Rock week!
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
agreed. their first 3 full lengths are absolute MUST listens to anyone who likes space / stoner rock. i tend to prefer Superjudge because of the higher production values. my favourite from their debut was always the closer - Ozium.

i wasn't so keen on the more traditional hard rock angle Wyndorf originally headed in after Powertrip, but i gotta say i really liked 4-Way Diablo. can't wait for the new one later this month, hoping against hope i might actually be able to score a replacement copy of Superjudge at the same time though i'm 99.9% sure i'd have to order it online.
Agree that the first three albums "Spine of God" "Superjudge" and "Dopes to Infinity" are must haves. The influence of the Doors, Hendrix, Hawkwind and Captain Beyond are noticeble on those albums, what makes them special though, is that Wyndorf took those influences and shaped them for the 90`s. Just a pity that everybody was into grunge at the time, and Monster Magnet kind of fell between grunge and metal, without really appealing to listeners of those two genres.

I think the Vegas inspired "Powertrip" a great album too, but totally agree with you, that when the group started dishing out a more standard hard rock sound, they lost the essence of what they were all about. Luckily though, the "4-Way Diablo" was a great album and a return to form.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote