Music Banter - View Single Post - Who is the Greatest of the Big Four of Thrash Metal?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #74 (permalink)
Musicfanatic
Music Addict

Okay, you'll all have to help me here. What exactly is thrash? I mean, the way I have always looked at it is that Slayer is "death" metal not "thrash". And could anyone tell me besides Metallica's St. Anger, what other band(s/albums) are considered nu-metal? I know there's been mention that Slayer did that in Diabolus in Musica, which happens to be my favorite of Slayer's output - please, don't thrash me. Seems I've been led astray in what I've come to believe thrash is all about, which is madness as a theme, and speedy instrumentals, along with harsh singing, the latter two Slayer does indeed hit on hardest, though. As for madness, Metallica sings about betrayal (Master of Puppets) and madness/depression (Welcome Home, Frayed Ends of Sanity/Fade to Black), and endtimes (Blackend) and the supernatural (The Thing That Should not Be). Whereas Slayer is always singing about death, murder, etc. Slayer's overly obsessive lyrics deal mostly in death (Angel of Death comes to mind). Metallica is always about that which can cause death, but not necessarily the act in and of itself.

Metallica is my favorite of the 4. And I've never really made a big judgment call of their entering bluesy rock. 1st one I bought was Load. I love that album, but my favorite is Kill 'em All. But something funny about that is that it wasn't always my favorite. About a decade or so ago I used to think that the album sounded the same, every song except Seek & Destroy. But that one has indeed grown on me since, hence it has since become my favorite album of all time. Go figure.

And when it comes to Megadeth, my favorite album of theirs is Cryptic Writtings...GASP! I don't know, maybe I ain't as hardcore as I once thought I was. I guess I just have a bit further range of music appriciation - Garth Brooks' Ropin' the Wind is my 5th favorite album of all time. I know, I'm weird! Well, the last time I listened to it I still liked it alot. I mean, I know I really like the album, but I don't know, I should give it a listen here soon to see if it's still #5.

I remember reading a review of Anthrax's greatest hits CD, where it talks about their branching out to rap-metal, e.g., I'm the Man. I was almost sighing at the thought of another rap-metal song. But it turned out to be my most listened to by them. Weird, agian, I know. But I seem to break precidents within every medium.
Musicfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote