Music Banter - View Single Post - Who is the Greatest of the Big Four of Thrash Metal?
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #75 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfanatic View Post
Okay, you'll all have to help me here. What exactly is thrash? I mean, the way I have always looked at it is that Slayer is "death" metal not "thrash". And could anyone tell me besides Metallica's St. Anger, what other band(s/albums) are considered nu-metal?
Thrash is basically what happened in the early to mid 1980s after metal got a shot of hardcore punk in the arm: high energy, fast, aggressive music with shouted vocals and lyrics which frequently involved social commentary. Thrash gave birth to death metal in the mid to late 80s, and though some of Slayer's music was influential on death metal, Slayer themselves are not death metal. Listen to some Death, Obituary, Deicide, Suffocation, Immolation etc. if you want to hear what death metal sounds like. You'll find it's generally "thicker" sounding than thrash, with cookie monster vocals that are one of its defining characteristics.

Nu-metal is the sad result of grunge and rap blending into metal in the mid to late 90s. Its defining characteristics are downtuned guitars, an emphasis on groove, a lack of solos, much slower tempos than thrash or death metal and vocals with a noticeable rap or grunge influence. Some well known nu-metal bands are Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Sevendust and Papa Roach.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote