Music Banter - View Single Post - Animal Collective
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #337 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric generic View Post
i'll agree that they are a pop band, and that all my favorites from them are pop. however, a very simple reaction from the casual listener occurs when they hear any song from either album. this shit sounds kind of weird. really think you are over-thinking yourself.

just take a moment and compare it to most top 40 radio type artists.
Well to be honest, I usually think that most people who'd bother to sign up for a music forum and frequent it are a bit more than just casual listeners. Usually the people who visit music forums consider music to be a pretty important part of their overall life, and that's why seeing it in music forums/websites all over the place makes me a bit skeptical.

Yes, it's a tad more bizarre than a top 40 hit. I'll take back that it's not 'strange and offbeat', sure, but experimental is a giant stretch.

Animal Collective: My Girls - Heavy repetition, electronic samples, reverberation, verse chorus verse structure

Top 40 generic hit - Heavy repetition, electronic samples, verse chorus verse structure.

I don't want to take anything away from Animal Collective - they obviously make very special pop music, and I would never claim otherwise, but I just want to take that tag away from their overreactive fans. Animal Collective deserve a lot of things, and certain genre tags just aren't among them.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote