Music Banter - View Single Post - Animal Collective
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #339 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

That's probably something that separates our opinions; I suppose I'm OCD about these kinds of things; I love music, first and foremost, but cataloging my admiration into specific categories is ingrained into my mind. In the end, of course, it doesn't matter if the album you love is progressive flamenco music or post-japanese metalcore - you'll love what you love.

But even then, if genres don't matter, why are people so inclined to use them incorrectly? It's often taken for granted; it helps separate what you know you'll like from what you might not, but these kinds of incorrect tags/genres come from people who don't PUT the thought into categorization like I and other OCD-nuts do.

And I don't want to slag on them for that; it's their choice and I can definitely see how somebody would see organization without genres, but if you see it that way, why even use them?

I feel as though I've just made a mountain out of a molehill.

Edit: Disregard what I previously said, there's a much easier way to explain how I feel about genre tagging. You can do an optional assignment for your English class. You don't have to, but if you're going to do it, you want to do well, so you need to read up on the topic at hand, you need to experience the topic first-hand and live and breathe it for a while - after all, if you want to do well, you need to understand it from a first-hand perspective.

That's how I see genre-tagging. It's unessential, but if you want to do it, have good reason and backing for doing it.

Last edited by clutnuckle; 10-06-2010 at 09:01 PM.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote