Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #6441 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnard17 View Post
Why? If laws cannot be shown to have a meaningful function (that is to say that they do not benefit society, nor do they protect society) then what does it benefit us to blindly follow what is nothing more than an arbitrary instruction created by societal mores rather than through rational thought process. I'm not saying you should spark up a dooby in front of a cop to stick it to the man. However following a law simply because it's a law rather than because it has genuine value and merit benefits no one.
I did say technically. I also said I agreed with both of you. There are laws that are ridiculous and since this is supposed to be a free nation, I don't follow them. There are other laws that EVERYONE breaks without even realizing it...why? Because it is probably a freaking ridiculous law.

The reason I mentioned "technically" having to follow the law is because there is obviously still the risk of getting in trouble. Even if someone agreed with me that that law is stupid, they could still argue it is dumb on my part to risk getting caught. Even people that don't follow the law have to appear as if they do. A cop won't let you go just for explaining you think the law is dumb. Then I argue that's where common sense comes in.

Ok this is my last post on the topic...resume bitching.