Music Banter - View Single Post - Using Samples in Rock Music
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Violent & Funky
FUNky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Negativland, if it counts as a rock band. Composed almost entirely of samples.
I'm not saying they have to use samples as a basis for their sound, I just really like samples thrown in, even if it really doesn't have much to do with the song.

I should have been more specific, as I guess I misunderstood exactly what "sampling" means. But after perusing its wikipedia page I guess this is more what I'm referring to:

Quote:
Spoken Word

Usually taken from movies, television, or other non-musical media, often used to create atmosphere, to set a mood, or even comic effect. The American composer Steve Reich used samples from interviews with Holocaust survivors as a source for the melodies on the 1988 album Different Trains, performed by the Kronos Quartet.

Many genres utilize sampling of spoken word to induce a mood, and Goa trance often employs samples of people speaking about the use of psychoactives, spirituality, or science fiction themes. Industrial is known for samples from horror/sci-fi movies, news broadcasts, propaganda reels, and speeches by political figures. The band Ministry frequently samples George Bush. Paul Hardcastle used recordings of a news reporter, as well as a soldier and ambient noise of a protest, in his single "Nineteen," a song about Vietnam war veterans and Posttraumatic stress disorder. The band Negativland samples from practically every form of popular media, ranging from infomercials to children's records. In the song "Civil War", Guns N' Roses samples from the 1967 film Cool Hand Luke, on the album Use Your Illusion II. Other bands that frequently used samples in their work are noise rockers Steel Pole Bath Tub and death metal band Skinless.
Sampling (music) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, something like this would be my example:

sometimes I don't thrill you
sometimes I think I'll kill you
just don't let me fuck up will you
'cause when I need a friend it's still you
Violent & Funky is offline   Reply With Quote