Music Banter - View Single Post - Which decade has the best Metal, 70s or 80s?
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #21 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
The 90s definitely had some good metal but unfortunately I think it also had the largest amount of shitty metal out of any decade. For my money I'd actually say the 00s were my favorite decade for metal so far. The variety and level of creativity in the past decade was really astonishing.
The 90`s either had the emergence of some of the best metal bands ever, or if they had formed before then, they released their best material in the 90`s! Also the diversity in metal was huuuuge, ranging from the really heavy stuff to the very light stuff, along with the emergence of a whole host of other genre influences into metal as well.

My best metal bands of the 90`s are as below. I wouldn`t be able to build the same list in quantity, from any other decade either:

Pantera, Sepultura, White Zombie, Machine Head, Melvins, Neurosis, Nevermore, Iced Earth, Overkill, Kreator, Death, Morbid Angel, Atheist, Amorphis, Anathema, Evergrey, Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Corrosion of Conformity, Galactic Cowboys, Kyuss, Sleep, Tiamat, Opeth, Type O Negative, Meshuggah, early Korn, early Deftones. I`m not a fan of industrial metal at all, but the best albums of Fear Factory and Ministry came out in the 90`s. Finally, you`ve got practically all of the Swedish melodic death metal scene as well (IMO one of the best things to ever happen to metall)

Sure the 90`s had rubbish like a huge amount of the Nu-Metal mob, but the 80`s were blighted by hair metal, and the 00`s blighted by metalcore and the terrible alternative metal brigade with groups like Disturbed, Godsmack and Sevendust. Along with the dominance, by that terrible extreme metal group Cradle of Filth, who hit their popularity peak in the 00`s.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote