Music Banter - View Single Post - The problems with homosexuality
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #423 (permalink)
Spike*Spiegel
Five Feet of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post

Are you aware that the Bible sanctions slavery? Though that doesn't directly promote racism, it was certainly a contributing factor.

The Bible also has a lot to say about the inferiority of women. We don't really pay attention to those parts any more, do we?
It depends on who you're talking to. Devout Pentecostal Christians do not believe in letting women cut their hair, wear cosmetics or pants. It's all about how you interpret what's written in the Bible.

All I'm trying to say is that there will always be ignorant, closeminded individuals around that pick and choose between sins, saying one is worse than the other (although, according to the Bible itself, all sin is equal), because it makes them uncomfortable to be around something different. With an attitude of holier-than-thou self-righteousness, they single out the homosexual lifestyle as the end-all sin of sins and at the same time, they draw a crowd of like-minded individuals that are teaching their families to hold these same beliefs.

We've been focusing primarily on Christian intolerance of homosexuality, but it's important to note that their's is not the only religion that speaks against this lifestyle. 1/5 of the world's population is Muslim, another religion that presents homosexuality as a sin. The Jewish Torah shares a similar view.
Now, all of these religious texts give guidelines for living one's life. It is true that they all include passages naming homosexuality or sodomy as a sin; however, what people so often seem to forget, is that they also name many, many other activities (things people engage in almost thoughtlessly) as sins. I think homosexuality is singled out so often, because there are still many people who are uncomfortable with it, so they attack what makes them uncomfortable. To put it bluntly, there will always be idiots in society; those with a lot of misplaced anger and a perverted view of right and wrong according to even their own religion. It is this type of person, in my opinion, that perpetuates the idea that "God Hates Gays".
Spike*Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote