Music Banter - View Single Post - Musicbanter Taught Me Something
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Default Musicbanter Taught Me Something

No matter how informed we think we are musically or misinformed about a certain band or genre, MB is usually there to set the record straight or convert you to a band or genre.

So what has MB done for you?

Even though I am in my late 30's I am always open to new music but I just couldn't get into The Fall. All I could hear was a drunken old git mumbling into a microphone about nothing in particular seemingly getting by with this average crap.

Due to Urban crapping their albums out all over the damn forum I began to delve into them a little more and began to get into them a little more whilst still not being fully convinced about a band that changes it's personnel every other week. I mean how could this band achieve this sort of longevity by changing it's band members so often? The answer is that irascible Mark E Smith and once I figured out that he wasn't a guy paying lots of money to have a backing band so he could rant against everything and instead is a man that doesn't know what else to do in life, my views began to change.

After all if you look closely at other artists you can see similar patterns. Lemmy and Motorhead, Ozzy and his backing band, Tony Iommi and Sabbath- they all continue with their band names despite numerous line up changes and I like them so why not The Fall?

Over the past year I have even begun to buy physical copies of their albums and of course; now and again there are tracks that I don't like but the more I listen to The Fall the more I realise that the ideal of the band and what it means is what draws me to them.

So even though I try not to behave like a blind sheep when it comes to music, I do confess that because of MB I have high regard for this band.

So it's your turn people!

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote