Music Banter - View Single Post - Tori Amos
Thread: Tori Amos
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
jeveuxleson
Groupie

Best to Worst:
1. Boys for Pele
2. Under the Pink
3. From the Choirgirl Hotel
4. Little Earthquakes
5. Scarlet's Walk
6. To Venus and Back (Disc1&2)
7. American Doll Posse
8. Abnormally Attracted to Sin
9. Strange Little Girls
10. The Beekeeper

Chronological:
Little Earthquakes - It typically stands out as 'the best' from any list her fans create. It's very confessional and lyrically heavy. Although sonically, I feel it lacks. It sounds.. "over-produced." Nonetheless, it's a great album.
Under the Pink - Closely related to Little Earthquakes, it shifts from her singing about herself to an approach of 'storytelling' more or less. Instruments are pristine in this album.
Boys for Pele - Her first self-produced album. My personal favorite. However, usually when I introduce her to others with this album, they often turn away. It's too "weird" they say. It's truly unique and sticks to her nature. This is also when she held her best concerts, this era of 1996-1998.
From the Choirgirl Hotel - She fuddles with musical technology. Rather than her and her piano with the company of percussion and strings, this album takes a turn to include synth.
To Venus and Back - Still including synth, the album lacks sonically and is 'blehh' with lyrics. Although Disc 2, which includes live performances of previous songs, makes up for which Disc 1 couldn't provide.
Strange Little Girls - I don't own this CD anymore. I didn't really like the idea of having all the songs consisting of cover tracks. It's her own spin on things, yes, but, no.
Scarlet's Walk - She relies on her piano again. It's fun and light at some points, dark and serious with others. Good balance, good album.
The Beekeeper - Ugh. It's not her. She took a turn for the worst.
American Doll Posse - She claims this album is the start of her 'new revolution', a rock revolution she claims. She's five different women perceived in the tracks and through these characters she's made up, she sings through them. Good concept.. too much for one album. It's a good listen every now and then, and the songs are truly more fun live...
Abnormally Attracted to Sin - I sort of gave up with this album. I didn't truly try to listen to this one intently, although I can pick a few songs that can be worth listening to...
Don't get me ****ing started on her Christmas album.

That's really the basics of each album to her extensive discography. I do believe if you want to be satisfied with her, start with the first four albums. That truly was at her best. Her redeeming factor was Scarlet's Walk, but that's gone. Like others, a relationship with her is love/hate. Haha. Also, I stressed her being good 'live' at some points is that the fact that I hope you can delve into her concerts and such. The songs do develop a different meaning. I prefer her music live.
jeveuxleson is offline   Reply With Quote