Music Banter - View Single Post - Laura Marling
Thread: Laura Marling
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious View Post
Hmm... She does have a very nice voice, but the moment I saw her I had a feeling she was going to be like all the other sad, beautiful female songwriters out there. For your comparison:

... one day while I was listening to it it occurred to me I'd heard this sort of thing before. And more than once. But if you can get past that, it's all lovely music and Laura Marling sounds like an excellent addition to its category.
I agree with your description of these four singers: their music does sound similar. I listened to the start of three of Laura Marling's songs ("Ghosts," "New Romantic," and "Devil's Spoke") as well as those youtube videos you posted. Their music sounds very willowy and sweet.

I actually didn't care for Laura Marling's music much (based on the three songs I listened to). But I did like aspects of that Washington "Clementine" song you posted (such as the variation within the song with build-ups and releases)...and I like all of their voices. As a child I enjoyed the humorous song "Clementine," where the suitor watches Clementine die blowing bubbles in the mill pond because, alas, he is no swimmer. I assume Washington is singing about that Clementine? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzCSTMWix3g

I guess part of what I don't like in these Laura Marling and other songs is the subject matter: the tedious tearing apart and analyzing of relationships among people and the self-analysis. Maybe I do that enough myself that I don't want to listen to it!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 10-10-2010 at 04:43 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote