Music Banter - View Single Post - Sexual Orientation
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #52 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Black Poppies View Post
A conjunction of body parts in any configuration is inherently meaningless until we put it in a social context.

Navigating this context is a process of self-establishment. Maybe people with so-called alternative sexualities tend to be more aware of the process, but if so, it's only because they bump up against the hetero-normalism that's prevalent in modern western culture, it doesn't mean that people who don't challenge that paradigm have any less of a process. In fact, given the established sexual scripts of masculine and feminine identity in our culture, one could argue that a woman proclaiming ownership and agency in her own sexuality is a fairly mighty accomplishment.

For either gender (and this isn't even getting into the fact that gender is also a sociocultural construction), navigating identity is a process of self-reflection, which you yourself listed as a qualifier for pride. Ergo, having pride in one's sexuality is a natural extension of having a sexual identity to begin with.
Is it just me, or is it getting warm in here with all these lovely words and concepts that Nine Black Poppies uses so eloquently?

"Ergo."

So where's the "I love words and their careful, sensuous handling" option?

As for pride in one's sexuality, I know that as a child I definitely did NOT have pride in my sexuality. I considered sexuality to be base and beneath me. The world of sex was a trite realm in which shallow, lesser minds fornicated and lusted, moved by urges that they were too undisciplined to control. Sexuality was a waste of time and distracted people from important and meaningful aspects of life.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"