Music Banter - View Single Post - Using Samples in Rock Music
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #34 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post
I just have to ask: have you listened to any of the videos in this thread other than jackhammer's?
Besides jackhammer's, I listened to four Dillinger Four's songs (since someone in the thread recommended this group), as well as "Japanther," half of "Butthole Surfers," and part of the "hippo" song. It's hard to get myself make it through a whole song, but I've tried, because I want to figure out what it is you fans of this music appreciate about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
A lot of time it being mass media detritus is the point, where it comes from isn't particularly relevant. Think of it as the equivalent of building a percussion kit out of found junk. Does it matter which junkyard you found that oil drum at? No. It's the the simple fact that you're playing discarded oil drum from anywhere that's interesting.

But if you prefer your sampling to have a more literal connection, how about someone like Negativland? The samples in this particular track come from televangelist in the 80s going on some rant about communists taking over America and outlawing Christianity.

You're right, Janszoon, I do prefer the sampling to have a more literal connection, like in this song...but doesn't it seem horribly repetitive to you?

Your explanation about the discarded oil drum helped. Thanks. I realize now that some of the music in this genre is the sound equivalent of industrial sculptures such as:

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote