Music Banter - View Single Post - Recording Music
Thread: Recording Music
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Roivas
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
4-track or 8-track depends on how many mics you're going to be recording from. For example, a 4-track recording would require 4 mics, etc. so really it depends on how many mics you either have or can get your hands on. 8-track+ will allow more individual editing and mixing to be done, but it's not necessary. It also depends on whether you're all going to be recording your parts simultaneously or separately.
A 4-track doesn't require 4 mics. You can use one mic to record, say, a GTR track and you'll have 3 tracks left over for overdubs.

Many 4 tracks only have 2 inputs available for simultaneous recording anyway (for example: Tascam Porta series).

After filling up your 4 tracks with overdubs, you can then bounce the 4 recorded tracks down to 2 tracks. That way you can free up an additional 2 tracks for more overdubs. The more you bounce, the more noise you get (especially when working with cassette tapes). Doing more than one print back is going to noticeably degrade the sound.

When I was a kid I used to record my voice and acoustic guitar using a set of cheap headphones as a mic!

Last edited by Roivas; 10-13-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Roivas is offline   Reply With Quote