Music Banter - View Single Post - Scott Walker
Thread: Scott Walker
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

^ He's quite a crooner, like you say, Liz.

Scott Walker's music isn't my style. It sounds like easy listening music to me, and all the songs are blending together in my mind now that I've heard the four you posted. Plus, the lyrics sound very mushy and simple.

I am interested, though, in reading more of Scott Walker's lyrics, because Wikipedia makes me curious about his writing technique: "Walker has spoken about his lyrical technique; he compares his technique of assembling images that are sometimes seemingly disparate from each other and unconnected into short blocks of text to that of 'a general, assembling troops on the battlefield."

His songs sound so unlike the military that this description of his writing technique surprised me!

An aside: when I started reading your post I got all excited, thinking maybe you were going to talk about Marc Bolan and T.Rex! I would have loved to see the Marc Bolan/T.Rex tribute concert if they played T.Rex songs. Marc Bolan's music is so pleasantly quirky and feels so delightfully devious, while Scott Walker's music seems so straight-forward and conventional to me.

Plus, there's just something about Marc Bolan's appearance that fascinates me. He seems so pretty and natural and comfortable in his own skin, and unafraid to be different. I think I'm going to go post about him in the hot male musicians thread!

Scott Walker, meanwhile, looks like my brother. I get brother cooties listening to him.

Scott Walker - Looks like Erica's Brother

Marc Bolan - Looks like YUMMMM!

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote