Music Banter - View Single Post - Mini-Review The Song Above You
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #93 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post
I'm not skipping anybody and I'm not posting a song for a review, just wanted to comment back to Dave:

I guess they kinda sound similar to Weezer, although I'd like to think Alkaline Trio has a little more bite. And I love the sound their bassist gets out of his bass.

With regards to your song, that was pretty cool. What is it exactly haha? Kinda reminds me of something Elastica might have made if they were still active...
it's all good man, i agree there's a bit more meat to AK than Weezer, it's the simplest comparison i could pull but there are a few other early 90s alt/grunge bands i've heard through friends that hit a lot closer to their mark.

as for what Whale is? not really sure. apparently at least a few of the band members were local TV personalities first and their first hit single was more of a joke than anything else (hobo humpin slobo babe). they just happened to pop out as funk-rock was fizzling and just before alt-rock started dominating so they were able to grab from all over the spectrum.

Elastica would have never written a song that long haha. Justine Frischmann was adamant about writing short songs and if you wanted to hear the cool bit or the hook a 2nd time just rewind the damn tape. too tied down to the punk rock ethos to step out into funky raps. hehe

also Steely Dan is the be all end all of sextoys in William S. Borrough's Naked Lunch.

and now going back to the actual point of the thread... (really digging this whole idea)

Dntel - Rock my Boat

is this an outtake from 'In Rainbows'? it's like All I Need with different lyrics almost to a T. it's not bad but ultimately doesn't stray from itself. - 5/10

next up (it's black at the start for the first few seconds, again awesome video)

DAMMIT - this thread moves too fast...

Strawberry Switchblade - makes me want to stab myself. i thought this kind of poppy new wave crap was dead and gone. i mean really, it was one thing for everyone and their dog to try redoing Joy Division, The Smiths, and The Cure, it's a whole other thing to channel freaking Cyndi Lauper. 2/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote