Music Banter - View Single Post - Transhumanism
Thread: Transhumanism
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
I don't think I gave humans any more credit than any other species. I was talking about life in general...humans being one outcome. And the view that things are way too finely tuned to be a coincidence isn't quite what I meant. I believe we are happy accidents as well...what I am saying is life cycles through a lot of possibilities for survival until something works. The chances of finding that correct possibility (because of the incredibly specific nature of our genomes) is very low...which is why I feel as if there is a bigger, "driving force" (not necessarily god...I don't like my beliefs to get that specific) behind everything.

I don't feel as if we are special at all. We are just experiencers of the universe. I also believe in life on other planets. With the current scientific view, the chances of life having successfully evolved on those planets is low. I'm saying the "driving force" applies there as well. If we take that into account, any place that has the potential for life will have life for this reason.
Understood.

I just have a hard time imagining what this driving force would be in the terms you're speaking. I don't really subscribe to the view that because something improbable happens, there is something behind it. To me, all there is, is time. If you have enough of it, the only option is a winning combination.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote