Music Banter - View Single Post - Elysian Fields
Thread: Elysian Fields
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Even if the strangest of circumstances in other threads are what brought this to my attention, I can't say this is bad at all. The thing I do like is that from song to song there's a completely different emotional tone. As for the singer lady's voice, can't say it's bad at all.

Kind of exactly what you'd expect from a more underground minimalist group. Which is it's greatest pro, and it's greatest con. A wide variety of instrumental tones, calm mellow textures, very soulful and melodic. Instrumental parts are kept simple as to allow the narrative to be told by the singer's voice which is quite pleasant.

However, in that sense, there's not as much that would set this music apart from a lot of the minimalist acts akin to it. Like the 50ish smokey lounge tone to most of it. A few of the songs had their cheesy moments, especially in presentation of vocals(which again aren't bad, but have their kitsch moments, and only small moments, thrown in that distract from the overall feel). However, small gripe in their success of acquiring the rich atmospheric textures they present.

Not cream pantsworthy but definitely an enjoyable listen.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote