Music Banter - View Single Post - Tuxedomoon
Thread: Tuxedomoon
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
dankrsta

Default Tuxedomoon

I've been meaning to open a Tuxedomoon thread for a while, but somehow always forget. They certainly deserve one, not only because they are one of my all time favorite bands, but because they're such an interesting and quality band and I think more people should listen to them. I've always thought they were a relatively 'popular' band, at least among fans of challenging, adventurous and quirky 70s and 80s music, kind of like Pere Ubu or even The Residents (I'm thinking more of the status, not musical similarity). That's why I was so surprised that on such a big forum hardly anybody ever mentions them. It can't be that they're forgotten? Well this thread will hopefully remind some people of them or introduce others to this incredible band.

I wasn't really sure where to put this thread, as Tuxedomoon is kind of hard to classify. Through the years they used a lot of influences ranging from jazz and neo-classical to post-punk and experimental electronic music. Usually described as avant-garde post-punk band, they managed to fuse all these influences with such an ease and to create their own recognizable sound.

That sound underwent some changes over the years. This avant-garde post-punk/new wave tag, imo, refers best to their early period from the late 70s and early 80s, when they were a part of San Francisco scene and signed to the Residents' Ralph Records label. It includes several singles and EPs and one full, proper album Half Mute (1980). Scream With a View EP (1979) can be easily found today along with Half Mute and No Tears EP (1978) with the album Desire. Many of their most interesting songs from this period are compiled on Pinheads on the Move which covers a period from 1977 to 1983. Imo, these are essential for anyone who wants to get into Tuxedomoon. Here are some clips for illustration.

59 to 1 (Half Mute)
Tritone (Musica Diablo)(Half Mute)

Everything You Want (Pinheads on the Move)

This last song can also be found on Subterranean Moderne, a Ralph compilation of four San Francisco bands: Besides Tuxedomoon, MX-80 Sound, Chrome and of course The Residents.

The first change in sound can be heard on Desire (1981), which included more ambient soundscapes, almost a pop feel and catchy synths. It also has that European and new romantic vibe. It certainly is no coincidence that after this album Tuxedomoon moved to Europe. Later albums also have this more pop and even some jazzy dance feel. OK, not to make this post too long (in hope that someone will read it), I'll give some examples from their 80s albums.

Desire (Desire)
The Waltz (Holy Wars, 1985)

Divine (1982) which was in fact a ballet score and The Ghost Sonata (1991) are especially good. The Ghost Sonata was recorded through the 80s, but released in the early 90s. It's their most neo-classical album. Another great album is Joeboy in Mexico (1997) which was released after a period of inactivity.

So, any fans here?