Music Banter - View Single Post - Goodbye Songs
Thread: Goodbye Songs
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
What are some songs that seem to stand as an epitaph for those who performed them?

Released just a few months before he died, this cover of the Nine Inch Nails written "Hurt" seems to be Cash saying goodbye, lementing with sorrow the more painful aspects of his life, and moving on. The video is really beautiful and it's a fitting end to country music's dark philosopher - The Man in Black.

Regardless of your opinion of this band (who seem to have the reputation of being overrated around here, ironically making them highly underrated), you can't argue that in light of lead singer / principle songwriter Kurt Cobain's suicide, the entire In Utero album is quite haunting. Nihilistic and often bleak, All Apologies ends the album with a glint of optimism. It's a ballad that gets sadder with every year that passes, and above all, is an emotional and heartfelt end to a band that got most of us through our teen years.
I agree with both of these feeling almost like epitaphs. "Hurt" certainly makes me far more sad, because it was a different side of Mr. Cash - very different from much of his work. It made him seem more...sad, and tired. More resigned. I find it very hard to listen to without tearing up at least somewhat.

I've always thought this one felt like Elliott Smith's epitaph:

The Last Hour - Elliott Smith

There really isn't a whole lot I can say otherwise. Others might say that they feel another song of his is more apt, but I've always connected this one with it more. The emotion just feels more right to me.
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote