Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #13596 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Oh, man. I had a weekend. So I went to see Massive Attack in Chicago on Friday. Martina Topley-Bird opening. It was going to be pure awesome. So we get to my buddy Steve's place and smoke a little bud. We were staying at his place, but Chicago was still about an hour away. He doesn't smoke much and didn't want to drive like that, so he didn't smoke at that time. We head out.

We get to Chicago, park, and light a joint. Steve smokes this time. We finish and start looking for a cab to get to the Riviera. Steve hops right into the front seat. I tend to take bud for granted these days since I smoke regularly and it doesn't affect me that bad. I didn't even think twice about the situation. First off, our cab driver couldn't speak English. Second, he didn't know Chicago for ****. We had iphones so I pull out the address and showed it to him. At this point I thought everything was clear and we were headed there, but apparently we were just driving aimlessly because the guy still had no clue. I glance up front and see my buddy getting more and more nervous. He kept asking the cab driver questions, but the guy would NOT respond. And then the freak out happens.

Steve looks back at us and with the most pathetic and hopeless look I have ever seen goes..."Guys...help...me..." It was heartbreaking. We told the cab driver to just stop, but of course he didn't understand that until we started yelling it at him. We get out about a mile and a half away from the Riviera with the show just starting. There is no way we are risking another cab, so we decide to walk the rest. We get some water and begin. I was thinking surely a half hour walk would help clear his head a bit.

We get to the show...we ended up being 2 hours late. Awesome. The ticket guy was gone, so we got in the back by paying this lady 20 bucks...that was pretty cool. We step in and the vibe is just...weird. The crowd is obviously 10-15 years older than us on average (which makes sense if you think about it). Normally that wouldn't bother me one bit, but I was also thinking about my friend and he was just not enjoying himself at all. Then I notice he just will NOT stop pounding water. Bad move. He starts projectile vomiting and I run him to the bathroom. I spend some time calming him down and finally I convince he is not dieing and we can go watch the rest of the show.

The show ends and I offer to drive his car. Nothing too crazy happened at this point, but it was Steve's car and with him still being stoned out of his mind, he wouldn't stop being a backseat driver. That is NOT what I needed at 2 in the morning in downtown Chicago. Eventually, the stressful ride ended and we all adjourned to his apartment.

All in all, I'm glad I can say I saw Massive Attack. I got to see about an hour, so it was 20 bucks well spent. We kept trying to figure out why my friend reacted this way and then one of my other friends (the guy who brought the stuff) goes...oh yeah this is Pure Kush. It says in the Cannabible it is one of the most rare and powerful strains and should not be used by casual smokers. Nice.

Moral of the story is...sometimes even bud can trip you the **** out.