Music Banter - View Single Post - Surreptitiously, However...
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unchained Ballad View Post
It is quite fascinating that music has such power, yes.

The fact that you find that what you so kindly called "my "music" can even remotely transmit any kind of emotion is flattering already, but to associate it with that amazing song saying it reminded you of it is quite frankly jaw-dropping. It means a lot to me, I can only hope to make music that will transmit such feelings with that remarkable intensity. Thank you
Well, I'm simply telling you the truth, UB. Your song "Whale" is one of the MB compilation songs that I have kept on my MP3 player. It was my favorite of yours. Sweet and haunting, it makes me want to cry. (Actually, it makes me cry! ) The song feels to me as if the rest of it is yet to unfold...I can imagine more to the song. And so I was saving "Whale" to listen to, imagining the rest of it, because I wish to copy the quality of your song...the bell-like tones, the langorous feeling...and incorporate that feeling into a song of my own. Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

Your "Whale" song always gives me an image of a memory that turns out to be one I enjoy a lot, though I didn't realize at the time that the memory would last so long and feel so present, if you know what I mean. In this memory, I am in Florence with my mom and dad (my future ex but then fiance and his parents were somewhere else)...and we are climbing higher and higher up a hill above the city on little winding, cobblestone streets, past gardens of gnarled olive trees. Our goal: a little church my dad remembered from years earlier when he visited Florence. He remembered the singing of the monks there.

Finally we get to the church and listen to a part of the service, all in Italian of course, where the monks are chanting/singing. I think it is the chanting and singing that reminds me of your song, or vice versa, since you are singing in a melancholy way, and I can't understand any of the words. Afterwards, my parents and I strolled around a lovely garden where I had read there was a grotto that I wanted to see.

This memory makes me happy, and then sad...because the moment is over...and then happy again, because I'm glad to have experienced it.

I suppose most songs that touch us stir some memory or emotion already there. And "Whale" does that for me. It reminds me of this scene which I could see from the hill as we were climbing, and gives me a feeling of nostalgia and melancholy and love.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote