Music Banter - View Single Post - Ruin Your Own F*cking Thread You Bastards
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #86 (permalink)
Dirty
Account Disabled

VEGANGELICA, I don't think you completely know what you are talking about regarding NFL football. NFL officials aren't fighting protective measures AT ALL. Over the past few years they have started penalizing and fining players more for helmet-to-helmet contact and late hits on the Quarterback. Yesterday they stated that players would be suspended for head-to-head collisions and 'devastating hits.'

Most former players are really opposed to this, as are many fans (myself included)... Nobody supports unnecessary helmet-to-helmet contact (I dont think), but the view of many is that the game of football is becoming ridiculous in regards to hitting players. Penalties get called almost anytime a player touches the Quarterback. You can't even touch above the neck or below the waist anymore.

It's true, I don't understand why people care who wins in American football or any team sport, since usually people don't know the players personally. Also, the players often don't even come from the city or state that the team represents, so "rooting for the home team" is generally an empty statement; there is little "home" in the team at all! And I find it strange that people get so riled up about...a game.

It isn't about knowing them personally or where the players come from. Every fan, every player, has a common goal: Seeing a world championship for their team. People care because to many people, sports are FUN. I grew up watching and playing lots of sports and simply put; they are exciting and fun to watch. When you really understand the sports, you develop a respect for how talented the professional athletes are.

It's like someone who grew up playing music listening to professional guitarist or pianists or whatever. Once you understand something in-depth, you just appreciate it.

So, anticipation, do the fans care at all about the football players and their health, their future? Or do the fans care mostly about whether "their team" wins, and whether they get to get drunk with their buddies and experience camradery in the stands as players get sacked and perhaps permanently injured on the field? Hmmm.

Not directed at me, but here's my 2 cents. Absolutely fans care about the players health. Nobody wants to see anyone get injured! That being said, everyone (including players) also realizes that football is a physical sport where injuries are a possibility. You make it sound like you have to choose between either caring for players health or getting drunk and having fun. It's BOTH.

Last edited by Dirty; 10-19-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote