Music Banter - View Single Post - What's the sound in my headphones today?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #201 (permalink)
My Mind Sedate
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Retro Funk

I have always liked Funk especially the deep, down and dirty stuff like Undisputed Truth, Ohio Players and Lightnin' Rod and over the past few years there has been a revival of this sound with bands not only sounding decidely retro but also using recording techniques and instruments of the era for that extra authenticity.

The band that first came to my attention was The Quantic Soul Orchestra who also recorded an album with legendary Soul Singer Spanky Wilson.

although I like both of these projects (there is a third simple called Quantic which is the main mans chilled output) I still wanted to find something a little more raw sounding and I stumbled across this outfit recently:

This album was released last year and should have got more attention. I mean it ticks all the boxes and is pretty hard to dislike really.

This again has lead me on a chase and I found these:

rather good don't you agree? I won't ramble on too much because Funk is an acquired taste (why?) but if you like what you hear then holler if you need any links.

Recommended:
Spanky Wilson & The Quantic Soul Orchestra - I'm Thankful
Gizelle Smith & The Mighty Macambos - This Is
The Poets Of Rhythm - Discerne/Define

Still looking
The Poets of Rhythm - daaaaamn!

Here is some more funk revival stuff:

This is basically a project made up of all these British acid jazz musos (like Incognito and Brand New Heavies etc). Monster players, but a whole album is a bit too much for me.
My Mind Sedate is offline   Reply With Quote