Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you religious?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #336 (permalink)
Nine Black Poppies
Music Addict

Okay, well... in the spirit of friendly debate then,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Everyone has a different idea of what is 'good' and I don't feel like those things are universally defined.
I don't know that that's necessarily true. If good were up to each person, everybody would be allowed to do whatever they define as good and that would be that. But that's not how we function--in order to exist as social beings, we have to figure out things we can agree upon; as individuals, we have to navigate larger ideas of good and evil, accepting or rejecting them. Even if the definition is an ongoing debate, part of our existence as a species is to define what is "good" universally.

Like you say you want to get into social work (admirable, by the way), to do positive things and help people. What makes you think those are positive things (I'm not saying they're not, just asking you to consider your own thought process)?

You don't have to call it "god," but you're talking about making choices and living with consequences--you're part of the system that's what I choose to call god (sort of). That's all I'm sayin'.