Music Banter - View Single Post - Should US Legalize Marijuana?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #333 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sMusicKid View Post
Of course it should be legalized....it's fun..and awesome...
it's crap like this that makes me ashamed to own up to puffing. same as 4/20 'celebrations'. we get it, you like it, it makes you 'rebellious' and 'anti-authority', totally sticking it to 'the man'... and not at all a self-medicated sheep like all the other 'rebellious' stoners out there.

personally i think it should be decriminalized on the same level as alcohol, it's still a controlled substance, and you'd still need to adhere to controls over its use and sale. not because it's fun or awesome, but because i really honestly think the government stands to profit far more from taxing the sale and cultivation of cannabis than it's continued and failed efforts to control it.

on top of the economical benefits of decriminalization it would also help reverse the stigma on hemp, which could be a VERY viable crop. i mean really, the fibers make more durable clothes than cotton, and the oil can be used in diesel engines. you could GROW FUEL. but the stigma persists, it's related to the devil weed and therefore is the devil weed.

there's also the tangible medical benefit. i have a friend with Crohn's disease, eating is not always a pleasant experience, especially not when he's getting a flare up, having a puff helps establish a bit of an appetite and negates some of the pain and discomfort.

the biggest hurdle right now is the misguided belief that it's a 'gateway' drug. BULLSH!T!!!, alcohol and tobacco are the gateway drugs of choice in the industrialized western world. that, and the fact that most police departments stand to lose a pile of funding in the, again, failed, 'war' on drugs. by keeping it illegal they're keeping the bigger profits from weed in the pockets of gangsters and hard drug dealers and dudes like Bill and Ted are screwed for life for getting pinched with a J and having their permanent records tainted.... all because of something i'm sure the majority of lawmakers on this continent refuse to acknowledge enjoying at some point in their youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote