Music Banter - View Single Post - Ruin Your Own F*cking Thread You Bastards
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #117 (permalink)
Dirty
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Yes, NFL officials have started to get tougher about preventing concussions and brain injuries OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS...but that follows YEARS of ignoring and minimizing the problem, Dirty. Evidence that I know what I'm talking about:
Your original post didn't say anything about the efforts they have been trying to make recently. for those who don't follow the NFL closely like I do, it made it look like the NFL was still ignoring problems so that's why I had to mention their recent efforts.

Blaming fans for football injuries is RIDICULOUS. So because I buy a ticket to a game, I now support brain injuries? Because I pay for games, I care more about the action than the health of the guys playing? Serious injuries do NOT happen that often... You're a little too far down the slippery slope now. Nobody wants to see injuries, but EVERYONE knows it is just part of the sport. Everyone knows the high risks of their given job. When you join the army, you realize there is a higher risk of you dying than if you worked at an office. Similarly, when you decide to play NFL football, you realize your risk of injury is greater than that of most occupations... but to blame these injuries on the fans?? That is retarded. They don't have to be blamed on anybody, they just occasionally happen. It's a part of professional sports and everyone involved knows that.

I think the NFL 'ignored' it for a long time because... how do you really fix it? I don't think they had any ideas on what to really do about brain injuries. They still don't really know. Like I said... It's just a very physical game with absolute freak athletes who are gigantic and run like the wind. Injuries happen and ya deal with them. It is especially hard when, not only the fans, but also the players themselves are opposed to NFL rulings, like fining players for completely legal hits (like they did this weekend to a few guys). The only rules I think fans really don't agree with are ones that involve late hits on quarterbacks sometimes (Refs call penalties that aren't late hits or vicious and it changes the outcomes of games).

Murder instances over games are such isolated instances. 99,99% of fans, at the worst, will get pissed off and chuck their remote across the room after a loss or drop a few F-bombs around the house...and by the end of the day they are cooled down and just disappointed in the loss.

Why don't the players stop if it is so dangerous? Because they LOVE this game. The game they have spent their whole lives playing and learning and training for. Your articles basically say that because fans pack the stadiums each weekend, it keeps guys playing in the NFL. That's bull****, if an NFL player was really seriously scared about their health, then they could play one or two seasons and live comfortably as a millionaire for the rest of their lives.

Some player's education may take a back seat to education, but that is because they are world-class athletes who make more in a year than some people make in their lifetimes. Anyways, the 'meathead' stereotype is WAY overblown. The majority of players in the NFL are VERY smart people, even if sometimes it's a different type of intelligence than we are used to. Yeah, a lot of guys probably cant perform open heart surgery or teach a physics seminar class... but then again surgeons and professors probably can't remember playbooks with hundreds of plays, or know how to manipulate a safety to the corner so you can through a post route, or how to read a defense before the snap and call out hot routes and audibles. All this being done in just a couple seconds.

Last edited by Dirty; 10-20-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote