Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you religious?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #348 (permalink)
Nine Black Poppies
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Who are you to say what I do and don't know. Perhaps you are the one who really doesn't know what God is.
But I'm asking the question--that's what this whole thing started with; how do you even try to figure out what god is. You seem to be adhering to one strict view of god that you've decided you don't believe in and leaving it at that.

Quote:
Basically you define God as society. Or life in general. Apparently you don't believe in God as a person or something that overlooks the world.
Not society. Life in general is closer but still sort of missing the point.
A "person or something that overlooks the world," no, but that doesn't preclude a kind of consciousness.
I would posit that god--no functioning definition of god--could possibly be that simple.

Quote:
I just have no reason to believe in any religion or any God. The idea of Heaven, Hell, etc are just ridiculous to me.
Well, how much do you know about "any religion or any God?" How can you say you have no reason to believe in it without trying to understand what it is you do or don't believe in? Why might some people find value in believing in it (whatever "it" might be)?

That's where I'm coming from. Like I said, "so what" is important to me here. You study things around you, find links and commonalities, try to mesh that with your own experience in an effort to come up with larger truths. I can't just stick a label on something and call it done.