Music Banter - View Single Post - Ruin Your Own F*cking Thread You Bastards
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #139 (permalink)
Dirty
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_override View Post
I agree that Rugby and Hockey are both equally if not more barbaric sports, perhaps my statement there was a bit over the top. But alas, you missed the entire point of my post. Allow me to rephrase and say "one of the most barbaric sports". You can even limit that to the US if you'd like.

As my football coach always said, "Be the hammer, not the nail". A lesson to live by.

There are ways to train yourself to take hits, this is football we are talking about. I'm just saying why change the rules of a game thats steeped in tradition? If anything, make helmets better. Look at guys like Hines Ward or Donald Driver, small receivers who are giving big hits more often than taking them. It's about toughness and alertness most of the time. Yeah, there are dirty players out there who will intentionally try to hurt you, and they should be punished accordingly. But 2 of the three hits in question over the last week were legal hits. Outside of Merriwether (who's a dirty ****ing Patriot anyway), those guys weren't doing anything but playing good old fashioned football. If you want to see glorified track stars running up and down the field all day without getting hit, try soccer. But don't ruin football for everyone else.

If these guys don't have the toughness to take the hits, or the alertness to feel them coming and give up on the play, then don't play. Period. I don't see why we have to cater to these 175 pound speedsters who think they can come crossing over the middle for the big play without getting hit.
I'm on YOUR side on most of this... the only illegal hit was Meriweather's and I don't think Robinson or Harrison should have been fined. I don't want them to change the game of football, but unnecessary head to head hits need to be punishable. Putting guys lives at serious risk for no reason.

The part you are really losing me at though is the whole "if you aren't tough enough or alert enough to take a hit, then dont play." Are you actually serious?? Lol, ok, a receiver is running a slant route at full speed and the QB overthrows it a little. The WR extends for the ball and gets drilled by a linebacker or safety.. And how exactly do you expect them to avoid this? Who exactly CAN take a hit from a 265 pound linebacker running at full speed? Most guys leave the game for awhile, then come back... and you're saying they aren't tough? Lol, ok, again where are you going to find tougher guys? These are the worlds greatest athletes.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote