Music Banter - View Single Post - Surreptitiously, However...
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
The Fascinating Turnip
Moper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Well, I'm simply telling you the truth, UB. Your song "Whale" is one of the MB compilation songs that I have kept on my MP3 player. It was my favorite of yours. Sweet and haunting, it makes me want to cry. (Actually, it makes me cry! ) The song feels to me as if the rest of it is yet to unfold...I can imagine more to the song. And so I was saving "Whale" to listen to, imagining the rest of it, because I wish to copy the quality of your song...the bell-like tones, the langorous feeling...and incorporate that feeling into a song of my own. Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

Your "Whale" song always gives me an image of a memory that turns out to be one I enjoy a lot, though I didn't realize at the time that the memory would last so long and feel so present, if you know what I mean. In this memory, I am in Florence with my mom and dad (my future ex but then fiance and his parents were somewhere else)...and we are climbing higher and higher up a hill above the city on little winding, cobblestone streets, past gardens of gnarled olive trees. Our goal: a little church my dad remembered from years earlier when he visited Florence. He remembered the singing of the monks there.

Finally we get to the church and listen to a part of the service, all in Italian of course, where the monks are chanting/singing. I think it is the chanting and singing that reminds me of your song, or vice versa, since you are singing in a melancholy way, and I can't understand any of the words. Afterwards, my parents and I strolled around a lovely garden where I had read there was a grotto that I wanted to see.

This memory makes me happy, and then sad...because the moment is over...and then happy again, because I'm glad to have experienced it.

I suppose most songs that touch us stir some memory or emotion already there. And "Whale" does that for me. It reminds me of this scene which I could see from the hill as we were climbing, and gives me a feeling of nostalgia and melancholy and love.

I am absolutely flabbergasted.

And I've been to Florence as well, even though I didn't have time to see much of it. That sight seems quite familiar though.

Again, thank you.
The Fascinating Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote