Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Records Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

Catie Yerkes - I Drew Your Likeness

What we have with I Drew Your Likeness is an ultra lo-fi, acoustic singer-songwriter record that you'll either hate for all the wrong reasons or love for all the right ones. The fidelity will turn a lot of people off. The mixing is close to nothing. There's so much fuzz in the background at times you think you can hear the ocean. But those "drawbacks" only accentuate the reasons this is a great release.

I like that Catie isn't hiding anything, and the imperfections of this record are in some ways it's essence. That's not to say "it's so bad, it's good." The songs themselves are well written. Some of them you can even sing along to. The music is honest, sincere, and heartfelt. The lyrics are thoughtful and very well written (and included in liner notes, in case you can't make them out). And by track 13 you'll be wishing everything was lo-fi.

If this kind of record doesn't sound like your thing, I think approaching it with an open mind and viewing it as a window to the artist - the sincerity of another human being - might change your mind. It did mine.

8.0/10
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote