Music Banter - View Single Post - Tuxedomoon
Thread: Tuxedomoon
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
dankrsta

^^Half-Mute album and Pinheads on the Move compilation are both a must, not just for their early sound, but for the full appreciation of Tuxedomoon. And after these, I'd say Desire. After you fall in love, you cannot miss The Ghost Sonata, their most ambitious work, created for a performance (and thus very conceptual), but which easily stands on its own, kind of like Divine.

An Affair at the Soiree (The Ghost Sonata)
Les Odalisques

@tone float - It's interesting you said that song (The Waltz) reminded you of some movie. It sounds to me like it could easily belong in some Lynch movie. Tuxedomoon sound was always cinematic and often evoking a dramatic feel. Although members all came from studying electronic music, they were also involved from the start in acting and performance and video art. So, Tuxedomoon were always a kind of multimedia band and film art has a great impact on their image and sound, especially film noir, classic horror and surreal film. They often make tributes to great directors and films through their songs. For example there's a song 'Roman P.' on album You, they have a version of Lynch's song 'In Heaven' from Eraserhead, the album Divine can be seen as a tribute to Greta Garbo and Half-Mute has 'James Whale' dedicated to this classic horror director (Frankenstein,...). I'm probably forgetting a lot of references.

In Heaven
James Whale

Ninotchka (Divine)