Music Banter - View Single Post - Lingerie Football League (American Football)
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
If it was Lady Gaga doing it you'd be saying how she's 'making a statement about women's sexuality' or some crap.
Oh, the lingerie football league women *are* making a statement about women's sexuality, Urban, just as Lady Gaga is, but I see their statements as being somewhat different. Here are the statements I hear them saying:

Lingerie Football League women: "We're sexy and hot! Objectify us! We love it! Watch us fight together for your pleasure!"

Lady Gaga: "I'm sexy and hot and funny-looking and odd and violent and angry and horrifying and loving. Objectify me but realize I am more than just an image to be consumed, and so your objectification fails. I will not let myself be categorized into some mold you create for me. I am my own unique person."

To me, the difference is pretty obvious--I can feel it when I watch them--although I agree there is some overlap in their statements. Maybe you don't see it the same way as I do, though.

My favorite statement, by the way, is by Brandi Chastain of soccer fame who also plays in the International Women's Football League: she is just living her life as an athlete, appreciating her fellow athletes and the chance they have to play their sports together. I admire her quite a bit because her statement is in how she lives her daily life.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote