Music Banter - View Single Post - What kind of rap do you like?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #46 (permalink)
Jester
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
No one's taking it personal. I'm just telling you all it will get nowhere because people inevitably resort to "it's my opinion, leave me alone!". With something like this there's no real ground to solidify your arguments on, beside perhaps mainstream perception, but in this case even that is divided. So basically, you will say "80s was old school, 90s is golden age", someone else will say "no, everything pre 2000 was old school", and conan will say
My stance: 80's hip hop is when hip hop developed its first sonic; the 90's era had a completely different sound than the 80's (its ancestor). If we're going to call anything old school, 80's hip hop would be old school. That was the first decade of hip hop. 90's was a second stage, hip hop evolved. Calling something "old school" outside of hip hop would be referring to the early/earliest stages of something that's changed, wouldn't it? What's the point in calling anything old school if you're actually referring to such a wide, wide range/evolution of sounds?

Yeah, an argument over perception CAN go somewhere. You learn to understand the term from someone else's perspective, how the hell is that pointless? If I didn't disagree and it didn't lead to this post, you probably wouldn't have considered everything I said above. Now that you have, maybe it will change your position--I don't expect it to, but at least you have more information to make what you think is a better choice. Almost anytime people retreat to opinion, an opportunity is wasted.

Yeah, you were taking it personal. If you weren't, you wouldn't have been calling me an ass.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote