Music Banter - View Single Post - Lingerie Football League (American Football)
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #36 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Why?

If she's in a bar then she's obviously old enough to make her own decisions. You can't possibly know the reason as to why she's doing it.

Maybe she finds it funny
Maybe she's doing it because she has a sick child
Maybe she gets a kick out of it
Maybe it's desperation
Maybe she's the sort of person willing to do anything for a bet.
Maybe she's an exhibitionist

You say your not judging the people that are doing it but you are because you are forcing your own morality onto them and assuming that they're being exploited. The truth is you couldn't possibly know if they are being exploited unless you asked them.
My example of people dragging a woman with a bare midriff across a rough wooden bar floor, which presumably rips up her skin just like the turf in the Lingerie League rips up the skin of football players wearing bikinis, is to show how both situations physically HURT someone.

I don't want people to physically hurt themselves, whether the person wants to be physically hurt or not. You are right that this is part of my morality. If someone is willing to be physically harmed for money, I don't feel that is a good thing. I'm not going to support it or encourage it. I don't blame the person being dragged. I blame the people in the bar who encourage her to do something to hurt herself. I judge the onlookers and the perpetrators, Urban, not the woman herself.

So, my judging is actually far wider and deeper than you suggest.

If the bar woman is letting people do this to her because she is desperate or has a sick child, I'm not just going to stand by and let her get hurt. I'd HELP her. And yes, I would judge a person, and harshly, who sits by and gets pleasure from watching someone else suffer.

If the bar woman just lets herself be dragged for kicks and *likes* getting her skin ripped up and bloody while being dragged through the stale beer and dirt, then I still would not encourage her to do this. I would tell the people doing it to stop. Yes, you are right, that is me placing my moral value judgements on someone else.

People have the legal right (which I agree with) to decide if they want to harm themselves or be harmed...even kill themselves...but that doesn't mean I will support them doing this.

I agree it is good to ask people if they feel they are being exploited. Have all the Lingerie League women been asked if they feel they are being exploited? Can we assume if someone looks happy that she is? If I see someone in a situation that my judgement says is exploitation, I won't just assume that she necessarily enjoys it.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote