Music Banter - View Single Post - Should US Legalize Marijuana?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 02:10 AM   #360 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Why does something have to add something positive to society in order to be legal?
I wouldn't say something has to add positively to society for it to be accepted, but if you want to create a good society where people are happy, it should be the general train of thought. If you live completely detached from society, you can do whatever you want and your business is noone elses. But the basis for society is about people coming together and giving up some of their freedoms for the common good, net negative freedoms like the freedom to abuse and kill people.

Besides, when I ask if it can add positively to society, I am genuinely interested in the answer. I believe there are more positives. It's not like I'm just asking for something to argue against.

I think the way to discuss stuff like this is to try and remove yourself from your own selfish interests and look at the bigger picture. That made me go from no to a maybe and now I don't have a clear idea on whether it would be a net good or bad thing to legalize. I'm interested in reading any argument if it's a good one.